We are currently recruiting for:
Commercial Director, Official Charts Company
This is a fantastic opportunity for a driven individual to help lead the commercial strategy of one of the world’s leading entertainment charts and data suppliers.
Our Commercial Director will be based in London and work closely with Official Charts’ Chief Executive in sourcing and developing opportunities for new international charts/data contracts, plus driving the existing music and video business in the UK and overseas. This will involve identifying commercial openings, pursuing those opportunities, securing deals, helping manage delivery of the contracts and the ongoing relationships.
The successful candidate will report directly to and work closely with the chief executive and will be able to demonstrate:
- Drive and ambition to transform an established business including expansion into new markets.
- Understanding of the entertainment industry, the value of data/charts to prospective suppliers, services/retailers and media partners.
- Ability to manage stakeholders, including external clients and internal partners (ERA, BPI and Kantar).
- An understanding of P&L and Balance Sheet management, and corporation tax considerations – a professional accountancy qualification
- Ability to speak a second (or third) language is preferred.
Building strategy, scoping and project managing opportunities:
- Creating a clear strategic roadmap of initiatives to drive the business over the next 5 years and beyond.
- Developing strategies to build data & chart services for the film & music sectors (both in the UK & internationally) and evolving services in response to market developments.
- Identifying specific opportunities, pitching services and pursuing them in a structured and energetic fashion.
- Overseeing the company’s financial management systems, and developing financial strategies to drive growth and deliver margin.
- Overseeing the company’s existing commercial relationships, in partnership with the ceo, the B2B commercial lead and digital/website commercial lead.
- Growing the company’s commercial partnerships across music and film/video and other associated sectors, where relevant.
Specific areas of focus:
Securing international chart/data contracts, from deal-making to delivery:
- Build relationships with contract-holders (typically record labels or record label associations).
- Pitch the Official Charts’ strengths in data collection, chart compilation and insight services.
- Scope out service levels appropriate for the requirements/budgets in the individual markets.
- Help develop contacts with labels and data suppliers (DSPs and retailers) in partnership with Official Charts’ internal operations team and Kantar in the UK & overseas:
> To conclude data supply agreements with retailers and DSPs, and
> Manage development of specifications for the charts & data services.
- Help manage relationships, both pre- and during contracts, through regular liaison & market visits.
Evolving & expanding the company’s video (film & TV) data/chart services:
- Build relationships with film companies, DSPs and retailers to scope out areas of service requirement.
- Develop strategies to grow the company’s provision of services for the sector.
- Devise data properties to respond to the video market’s needs.
- Manage delivery of these data services, in partnership with the Official Charts’ operations team and Kantar.
- Ensure the ongoing commercial viability of data and chart compilation services for the video/film/TV sectors.
Providing financial management services
- Oversee the company’s financial reporting, including budgeting, reporting and managing the audit process, supported by internal transactional resource.
- Lead the company’s financial planning, including ongoing assessment of financial risks and opportunities - development of strategies to drive growth and deliver margin.
- Provide strategic management and oversight of the company’s financial reporting, to the ceo and stakeholders (including individual directors, the company board and finance committee).
- Schedule, manage and chair the quarterly finance committee, prepare papers and report to the committee and the board.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience developing a long-term commercial vision for a business.
- Deal-making skills and a demonstrable record of strong commercial acumen.
- Professional accountancy qualifications and at least 3 years practical experience
- Strong analytical skills and experience in revenue management and P&L ownership.
- An ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders and working together collaboratively.
- Fluency in English and at least one additional European language.
- Presentation skills and the ability to create a compelling PowerPoint deck.
- Ability to use Excel (or alternative spreadsheet package).
- Excellent understanding of the international entertainment landscape.
- Knowledge/curiosity about the evolution of entertainment consumption habits.
- Awareness/enthusiasm for the Official Charts, charts in general and the value of data.
- Interest in and willingness to explore and embrace overseas cultures.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to communicate in the written word, clearly, directly and engagingly.
- Ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment, while meeting tight deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to work hard within a young, fast-developing company.
- Articulate and confident communicator.
- Strong team player with the ability to build relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Enthusiasm for developing new services and communicating with customers.
- Proactive, self-starter with advanced problem-solving skills.
- Ability to act on initiative and take responsibility.
- Natural drive and initiative to make an impact on a growing organisation.
The Official Charts Company is a joint venture between record labels’ body the BPI and ERA, the Entertainment Retailers Association. The Official Charts Company is responsible for the commissioning, marketing, distribution and management of the UK’s industry official music and video charts and is endorsed by BASE (the British Association of Screen Entertainment).
The organisation has managed the charts and data services for the UK music industry for more than 25 years, working with its nominated research contractor Kantar (formerly known Millward Brown) for this entire period. In that time, it has developed a reputation as the gold standard of charts/data supply organisations, leading the way in the evolution of charts and data for the recorded music industry.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and covering letter to: email@example.com