2019 has been an epic year of record-breaking and history making on the Official Irish Singles and Albums Chart. Here, we list 32 facts about incredible chart feats achieved by the biggest names in music.
1. In January, Ariana Grande recorded the biggest week of streams ever when 7 Rings debuted at Number 1.
2. 7 Rings was Ariana's third chart-topper in less than a year (No Tears Left To Cry, Thank U, Next, 7 Rings), becoming the first US female to do it since Lady Gaga in December 2009 (Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance).
3. Ari is one of only two women to achieve this since 2010, the other being Dua Lipa (New Rules, IDGAF, One Kiss).
4. In February, Ariana became only the third artist ever - and the first female in history - to replace herself at Number 1 on the Official Irish Singles Chart when Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored dethroned 7 Rings.
5. Ariana was the first woman to be Number 1 and 2 at the same time since Lady Gaga did the same in February 2009 with Just Dance ft. Colby O'Donis and Poker Face.
6. Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored was Ariana's fourth Number 1 scored in the space of 12 months, matching Britney Spears as the only women this millennium to achieve that feat. Britney managed it between November 2003 and November 2004 with Me Against The Music with Madonna, Toxic, Everytime and My Prerogative.
7. Ariana's album Thank U, Next went in at Number 1 the same week, making her the only act to score the Official Chart Double in 2019.
8. The album is the only released this decade by a female artist to feature three Number 1 singles.
9. Ariana has claimed more Top 10s in 2019 than any other woman, five: 7 Rings (1); Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored (1); Needy (5); Boyfriend with Social House (3); and Don't Call Me Angel with Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey (2).
10. 2019 was kind to Lewis. In May, Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent became the fastest-selling debut album of the decade by an international solo artist.
12. In July, Ed Sheeran's fourth chart-topping album No.6 Collaborations Project cemented his position as the act with most weeks at Number 1 on the Official Irish Albums Chart this decade, with 61 weeks.
13. Ed dominated the singles chart too - he scored the most Top 10 singles in Ireland in 2019, with 7.
14. Those seven tracks took Ed’s tally of Top 50 hits to 40, nearly the most of any artist since 2010! Ed lands in second for the most chart hits of the decade, behind Justin Bieber on 48.
Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello
15. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello claimed Ireland’s longest-reigning Number 1 single of 2019 with Senorita, which spent nine weeks at the top.
16. In August, Taylor Swift became the female artist with the most Number 1 albums this decade when Lover debuted in the top spot and became her fourth chart-topping LP.
17. The Man and Cruel Summer became Tay Tay’s 28th and 29th Top 50 hits of the decade. 27 of those were as a lead artist - the most chart hits since 2010 for a female with lead billing. The most overall including features is Rihanna with 33.
18. Dermot Kennedy was the breakout Irish act of 2019. He claimed the year’s fastest-selling album by a soloist with his Number 1 debut.
19. Without Fear also became one of the decade’s fastest-selling debut albums.
20. With seven non-consecutive weeks at Number 1, Without Fear has spent more weeks leading the Albums Chart Top 50 than any other album, one ahead of fellow debut albums by Billie Eilish and Lewis Capaldi.
21. Dermot also has the longest consecutive stint at Number 1 on the Official Irish Albums Chart this year, with five.
Tones and I
22. Tones and I spent eight weeks at Number 1 in 2019 with Dance Monkey, which is the longest-reigning chart-topper of the decade by a solo female lead artist.
23. Dance Monkey has also spent more weeks at Number 1 than any other song by an Australian act this millennium.
24. In November, The Script scooped their sixth consecutive Number 1 with Sunsets & Full Moons. Five of those reached the top spot this decade, the most of any Irish act since 2010 and joint-most overall with One Direction and honorary Irishman Nathan Carter.
25. Also in November, Westlife scored the fastest-selling album of the year with their 11th Number 1 album Spectrum.
26. Spectrum is one of two Westlife albums to feature in the Top 10 fastest-selling of the decade. Spectrum itself scored the ninth highest opening week of sales since 2010.
27. Westlife's When You're Looking Like That from 2000's Coast to Coast album made its chart debut after the band played two nights at Croke Park in June. Previously not released as a single in Ireland, it debuted at Number 20 some 19 years after release.
29. 2019 is the first year this decade that no groups were Number 1 on the Official Irish Singles Chart.
30. Seven credited female soloists reached Number 1 in 2019, the most since 2013 when eight women topped the singles chart. They are Ava Max, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Tones and I, Selena Gomez, Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish.
31. 13 acts were Number 1 on the Official Irish Singles Chart this year; Ava Max, Ariana Grande, Lewis Capaldi, Lil Nas X, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello, Tones and I, Regard, Selena Gomez, Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish.
32. 17 acts reached Number 1 on the Official Irish Albums Chart this year; The Greatest Showman cast, Ariana Grande, Picture This, Hozier, Billie Eilish, P!nk, Lewis Capaldi, Bruce Springsteen, Mick Flannery, Ed Sheeran, Slipknot, Taylor Swift, Post Malone, Dermot Kennedy, The Script, Westlife and Rod Stewart.