After just four weeks in the shops, Susan Boyle's debut album I Dreamed A Dream has swept into the lead for biggest album of 2009, with sales of over 1.4 million, the Official Charts Company announces today.
The Top 5 Albums of the year so far are currently:
Pos. Artist Title Weeks On Chart
1. Susan Boyle I Dreamed A Dream 4
2. Lady Gaga The Fame 49
3. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 65
4. Michael Buble Crazy Love 9
5. Black Eyed Peas The End 28
Martin Talbot, managing director, Official Charts Company, said:
"In just four weeks, Susan Boyle has become the biggest album artist in the UK by some margin - an extraordinary achievement for an artist who was totally unknown until last April. She has clearly connected with a massive proportion of the British population and is now looking solidly in place to take the title of the biggest album of the year."
Notes to Editors:
1. Chart information quoted from this release must be credited to The Official Charts Company
2. The Official Charts Company (OCC) is a joint venture between record labels’ body the BPI and ERA, the Entertainment Retailers Association. The OCC is responsible for the commissioning, marketing, distribution and management of the UK’s industry standard music and video charts and is endorsed by the BVA (British Video Association).
3. The Official Charts Company compiles its charts from sales information gathered across all key distribution (or entertainment) channels including all major high street retail chains, independent stores, supermarkets, mail order internet retailers and digital music service providers. This market research sample equates to 99% of the total UK Singles market; 98% of the total UK Albums market and 90% of the total UK DVD market.Back to press articles